Sunday, March 4, 2012

Top 5 Saturday

Many people know but some don't that I have been into straight edge music and have always been straight since 86'. So I don't care what other people do or don't do. I do know that in the early days for me it saved my life and gave me a reason to not turn into a wastoid. So with that I am gonna list my top 5 Straight Edge bands of all time.

Number 1. Minor Threat- They started it all and really did it the best. Blistering fast songs, good lyrics and the angst that youth still has. I have listened to this record so many times in 26 years that honestly it is apart of who I am. I once was at a party and some crusty punk kid and me where talking about music and he said Minor Threat sucked. So I punched him in the mouth real hard. He laid there for a while. Minor Threat is the best period.

Number 2. Youth of Today- Holy smoke this band brings up so much emotion that it is hard sometimes to decipher. They were always super posi but at the same time insanely pissed off. Ray the singer went on to ruin hardcore when he turn Krishna and a whole bunch of dumbass kids followed. In 88 I saw them live and let me tell you if you could have bottled up all the energy in that room it could have powered LA for a month. Every record they did is amazing so go get them.

Number 3. Man Lifting Banner- This is one of those obscure Swedish bands that I stumbled upon. Not only a straight edge band but also a communist band. Weird for a kid in LA to listen to this and wonder what the hell they are talking about. Anyways the music is so fucking good and the lyrics have depth and meaning. I always liked super fast punk rock and this band is up there with the best. All the members went on to other bands and are still active in the scene in sweden.

Number 4. Gorilla Biscuits- Start today was the record to bring back hardcore. Song after song the fellows just wrote killer tracks. All the members are from other NY bands and had a great song writing ability. A couple a ep's and one full length but it is off the charts. Civ the singer had his own band for a little bit in the 90's but it basically sucked. Gorilla biscuits has been playing some shows and it looks to be killer.

Number 5. Chain of Strength- Cali hardcore at its best. This is one of those bands we woul drive like 3 hours to go see every chance we got. I remember a summer in 89 I believe we saw them with Judge and Instead at Spankys in Riverside. It was insane that show. Chain always was good live and the records are pretty damn close to the live set. I remember Curtis the singer always dressed like a preppy douche bag but he could scream his ass off. For So Cal bands they are still the best.


Runners up include- Uniform Choice, Carry On, SSD, Cro Mags, Social Justice, Downcast, Etc Etc

No comments:

Post a Comment